Wednesday, May 16, 2007

KK Day 4 / The Sun

(A very long blabbering)

No tweeting on day 4... why?

Woken up by a bunch of hooligans who had left their brains at home. They were shouting, screaming, and pounding away at the floor of the hut at 1230 AM in the morning! Come on people… be courteous. Just the fact that you’ve woken up at 12 am, doesn’t mean everyone else has to wake up as well… buggers. Grrr…

XT & I had planned to wake up around 0145 am because our guide was going to meet us at 0230 am. No longer able to sleep, we packed our gears for the climb and had our breakfast with the hooligans (we shared a table... grrr...). These noisy buggers made an equally annoying ruckus while they’re having breakfast as well. Talking, laughing, banging the table, and utensils etc.

Sat at the table munching away my breakfast while observing these bodohsapiens, Mr. Hyde ‘moi’ was coming up with all sort of retributions that would make the devil proud; Laxative in drink, Glass powder in food, ‘accidentally’ push/trip them over the cliff, and booby traps... muahahahaha...

By the way, why is it called a BOOBY trap? Is it because the explosive looks like a boob? What if I’m using a stick grenade? Shall I name it Willy Trap then? All right, I digress :P

*chant* what goes around, comes around… hooligans hmmph…

It was freezing cold that morning, must be at least 5 degree Celsius because it reminded me of my autumn at Taiwan 2 years ago, the type of piercing cold that numbs your body and makes you shiver to the bone. Edmund, the guide, arrived 5 minutes earlier to make sure we’re all set and ready. We started in the middle of the group and slowly made our way to the front because I wanted to be the 1st to reach the peak.

Kiasu? Boh laheh that fella at the back is catching up, XT quick… run! :P

It was pitch black outside, so dark that I couldn’t even see anything beyond 6 feet. Thankfully, I had my hand held torch with me, which was extremely useful until it decided to go kaput half way up the peak... sial

*bodoh mia torch light. (Note to self must bring head light next time, NO hand held).

For the last 30 minutes of the ascent, I had to depend on intermittent flashes from other climbers and literally felt my way to the top. Almost ran into a few pot holes and boulders as I was hiking fast, really fast because I thought XT was in front of me. At that time, I wished I could have eyes like Riddick. Looking back, I’m so thankful that I made it to the peak safely and unscathed. It’s really dangerous to hike in the dark.

*A Mah ngor tak zhor lah

*Low’s Peak*

Didn’t get to be the 1st… no thanks to torch light grrrr… but I was the first 5 people who reached the peak. But there’s no sign of XT. Where the heck did he go? I called out his name a few times and got no reply. Hmmm… Hope he didn’t fall into one of those nasty pot holes along the way.

‘He’ll be alright’ I said to myself to stay calm.

*Happy Thoughts*

I was relieved when I finally heard him hollering my name 5 minutes later. The first word that came out his legendary foul mouth was

XT: ‘Bab!#@*¢%, why the heck did you hike so fast and left me all alone’

J: ‘Sorry loh… I thought you’re in front of me. My torch died half way just now’

XT: *muka geram habis*

J: =P

*phew*

Great is the reward of those who persevere till the end. My reward didn’t come until the first light of the day. The sun, peeking from behind a cluster of cirrocumulus clouds, was slowly revealing the grandeur of Mt Kinabalu and I found myself in awed at the sight of this geological wonder.

*South Peak

*surreal*

Couldn’t believe that I was standing on this massive pluton, which was formed 10 million years ago underneath the earth surface. After spending a good hour absorbing the splendors at the peak, we resumed our journey down to the foot of the mountain.

*South Peak
*A walk in the clouds

- I’m planning to climb Mt. Kinabalu again… Hopefully with the special someone who has now become the greatest wonder of my life ;)

*KM 8.0
*Donkey's Ears Peak

Our feet screamed in protest after reaching the foot of the mountain. XT cursed profusely every time he had to go down a step or a stairway. It’s hilarious, that guy is one mean cursing machine; Mandarin, Cantonese, Hokkien, English, Bahasa Melayu, Tamil, semua boleh :) We waited at the bus stop to catch a bus to town after our lunch at a nearby restaurant. XT had this crazy idea of hitchhiking and he was doing it while sitting on the bench at the bus stop. Before I could even laugh at his antic, a sturdy Mitsubishi 4WD made a dramatic stop in front of us

*blink blink*

Wah! Like that also can ah?

Anyway, we got our free ride to KK town and saved RM15 each.

It rained cats & dogs after we had arrived at Jessleton Jetty. We were worried that the ferry would not ferry us to Manukan Island. But thankfully, luck was on our side. Up we went on the rocky speed boat on a stormy day. All sort of scenarios started playing on mind while we were heading toward the island.


‘what if the boat capsizes?’

‘hmm.. Are there any sharks here?’

‘will I be stranded on an Island like Tom Hanks?’

‘wah lightning! *zap* the boat breaks into 2 pieces’


So what happened next?

Obviously nothing lah.. or else how gua write this neh...

The rest of the day was spent lazing in the room watching Discovery channel & National Geographic. Raining mah...

*Thankfully the room is nice

What a great way to spend a holiday on an island eh… -_-*

___________________________________________________________________


You are The Sun


Happiness, Content, Joy.

The meanings for the Sun are fairly simple and consistent.

Young, healthy, new, fresh. The brain is working, things that were muddled come clear, everything falls into place, and everything seems to go your way.

The Sun is ruled by the Sun, of course. This is the light that comes after the long dark night, Apollo to the Moon's Diana. A positive card, it promises you your day in the sun. Glory, gain, triumph, pleasure, truth, success. As the moon symbolized inspiration from the unconscious, from dreams, this card symbolizes discoveries made fully consciousness and wide awake. You have an understanding and enjoyment of science and math, beautifully constructed music, carefully reasoned philosophy. It is a card of intellect, clarity of mind, and feelings of youthful energy.

What Tarot Card are You?
Take the Test to Find Out.

10 comments:

William said...

Derek wants me to scale Kinabalu too... hmmm. Nice pics. Looks like you had a nice time. I still have a few more days of my BKK trip to blog, but I think I've forgotten most of the details!

savante said...

Wake up at 2 in the morning?! My only reply would %$#*@!!!!

moz monster said...

Congrats for making it up !!!! I think Mt K is truly a mountain worthy of the journey.

I'm so jealous of you ... I will only be doing the climb next year, if at all !

Alex said...

Nice photos! :P
I know you definitely can make all the way up there! Yay!
Low's Peak... what an oxymoron... :P

ah nel said...

bro...i duno anyting bout carrot card worr!

may said...

LOL @ Willy Trap!

pretty cool scenes at the top. I wanted to go up Mount Kinabalu a couple of years ago, but my "steam" ran out even before I started... :P

JL said...

William: Let's go together-gether :) tu la postpone sampai lupa semua.. cam gua ;)

Savante: LOL! Penguins... funny la bro

Moz: Thanks and yes it is. Next year pun next year lah.. more time to prepare yourself for the exciting adventure :)

Alex: Thanks! The peak is named after Sir Hugh Low who made 3 expeditions to Mt KK :) Wanna go climb together?

Ah Nel: Same lah... do the quiz for fun only :)

May Cher: HEHEHE... you train kat Sydney la. so when you come back can go panjat bukit. i'll be your guide OK ;)

Winn said...

wah ...ur kk trip was 'N'years story worrr....:P
wait for this post wait until my neck long liao
heee! nice pic...

Anonymous said...

nice pics!
:)
so terror! must be really tough to climb....

Applegal said...

I LOVE the photo you have of South peak and the blue skies :D Going to climb next year, and going to drag my special someone along! ;)